Friday, July 22, 2016

Weekend Movie Review: Ghostbusters (2016)




How do I begin to talk about Ghostbusters?? To clarify, I'm a huge fan of the originals. I grew up watching them. I re-watched the first one just a few months ago. But I was not, by a long shot, offended by the remake. I absolutely understand people being offended that Hollywood would remake a classic, but I cannot deal with the haters who are pissed because of the female cast. These ladies are hysterical! Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones are some of the funniest ladies in tv and movies right now. They may very well be the four most versatile actresses I've ever seen and they are definitely some of my favorite people!


A word about the new version of the theme song: when I first heard this recording by Fall Out Boy (featuring Missy Elliot), I was totally against it. Like surely we could have stuck with the original Ray Parker Jr. classic! Buuuut, in the context of the film it kind of clicked for me. It really works with this movie. The attitude of the song really compliments the attitude of the characters. And it's still pretty catchy!  Here's the original version too, for comparison and nostalgic enjoyment. 

I don't want to get too into the plot because of spoilers, but I will say the plot is a bit different than the original. I was almost disappointed by that, but honestly, I think it's better. This way it's not a total makeover of the classic film, but more like a continuation of the original films. I can't see any reason the original Ghostbusters films and this new one can't co-exist harmoniously side by side. 

Anyway, here are some youtube clips:


No comments:

Post a Comment